Independence Day celebrations yesterday prompted fashion label Bayo to reveal what were supposedly phases two and three of their “What’s Your Mix?” campaign.
If the message got lost along the way that’s because of two things: 1. It was a shitty message. 2. It was a shitty awful campaign.
Of course to expect anything close to new thought (at least more modern thoughts other than reductive and infantile ones like the color of ones skin and the racial make up of ones ancestors make a person who they) out of a clothing line is kind of like waiting for Miriam Santiago to act civilized.
In other words, likelihood of happening is pretty damn low.
On a personal note, it’s idiotic shit like this that gets people refusing to believe I’m Filipino. Way to embarrass Rizal et al guys.
These guys never learn do they? And I would have wanted to stay away from this after having spent several posts on their earlier promotion of supposedly “world class” Filipinos. Now, they’re turning local and exploiting attributes? And how does one get to 50% Tagalog and 50% Ilongga anyway?
Take for example my case: my paternal grandfather was from Batac, Ilocos Norte, who married my grandmother-a Manileña who migrated to Cagayan de Oro but had roots from Bohol. My maternal grandfather - the son of a Caviteño mestizo who migrated to Mindanao, married my grandmother who had mixed Chinese, Ilonggo and Maranao heritage. And this is only based on what I have at least been able to trace. With those ethno-lingual lineages, what am I then? Ilocano-Tagalog-Boholano-Chinese-Ilonggo-Maranao? And what then would be the proportions in percentage?
Yep, I know, it would be impossible to tell. And this is why campaigns which break down racial and ethno-lingual lineages in percentages are just plain stupid.
Oh, and by the way, in case the guys in the ad agency hired by Bayo don’t know, when you use Ilongga, some people from Western Visayas consider that to refer to a girl from Iloilo rather than the language spoken by that girl. Some would rather call the language Hiligaynon. Call a person from Bacolod Ilongga or Ilonggo and you’d be in for a lecture on Western Visayas languages. And yet, supposedly Bayo is the Hiligaynon term for clothing.
- wantering-menswear likes this
- 112042 likes this
- turbochick likes this
- midnightcrammer reblogged this from iwriteasiwrite
- uhitsjayvee likes this
- crossedwires reblogged this from ellobofilipino
- thereluctanthipster likes this
- ca-thar-si-s likes this
- chickolorila likes this
- half-formed-things likes this
- dansphalluspalace likes this
- brownmonkeytheory reblogged this from ellobofilipino and added:
- nakererurish likes this
- sumasablay likes this
- helgaholic likes this
- bagong-pilipinas likes this
- juanrepublic likes this
- fayelikestodream likes this
- hndwrttn reblogged this from ellobofilipino and added:
- iwriteasiwrite likes this
- ellobofilipino reblogged this from iwriteasiwrite and added:
- outoftherabbithole likes this
- ellobofilipino likes this
- franchium likes this
- littlefoxhole likes this
- krinkletwinkle reblogged this from girl-in-a-well and added:
- m50other likes this
- thediscobelle reblogged this from dorkvader
- thediscobelle likes this
- panchodelaluna likes this
- ducko likes this
- bigfatsmart-bug likes this
- fuckyeaherrkang reblogged this from iwriteasiwrite
- dorkvader reblogged this from rappler
- dorkvader likes this
- girl-in-a-well reblogged this from juliebeefjerky and added:
- juliebeefjerky reblogged this from iwriteasiwrite and added:
- that-beatnik-girl reblogged this from iwriteasiwrite and added:
- that-beatnik-girl likes this
- ledgelife likes this
- ellorish likes this
- curah likes this
- eush likes this
- margoism reblogged this from iwriteasiwrite and added:
- blow-and-puff likes this
- iwriteasiwrite reblogged this from rappler and added:
- kirbyaraullo reblogged this from rappler
- waitingforarsenic likes this
- rappler posted this